Fan-fixtion, or How We Do





Much love to the staff of Ars Marginal for finding and sharing these vids.

I really appreciated the second vid because it touched on something: this is how we do.  This is what we do. Authors, networks, and filmmakers often build the playground, but fanfiction writers and fan art creators are the people who make the playground actually fun.

Did you know...I don't watch Star Trek: The Original Series any more.  I can't; there's not much in it for me.  Uhura doesn't have a whole lot of great lines, she and Spock aren't getting it on, most of the cast is white, and Sulu is often ignored.

But when fanfiction writers get a hold of TOS, it's suddenly awesome as hell.  All of a sudden, I can't get enough of that 'verse.  Same thing with Harry Potter; after years of reading fics - especially from British writers - I'm always surprised by how lame the movies seem in comparison.

Fanfic writers don't get nearly enough credit for they - we - do.  Make no mistake: we are the reason mainstream media makes its millions, and why cult/indie media gains longevity.  We may be geeks and weirdoes, but that doesn't change the fact we are awesome.

So now that I've given myself a much needed pep talk, I intend to return to Dark & Twisty with a vengeance.  I intend to experiment a hell of a lot more in the months to come (especially after I get a new apartment and set it all up to my liking).  And I intend to take this precious little tidbit into account:
Saladin Ahmed, who was born in Detroit and raised in a working-class, Arab American enclave in Michigan, was one of the non-white males at WorldCon: his novel Throne of the Crescent Moon was shortlisted for best novel at the Hugo awards, given out at the convention. He called for diversity in science fiction to be extended even further – to class. He tweeted: "Class diversity also needs to be part of #DiversityinSFF. I want fewer kings and starship captains, more coach drivers and space waitresses."

*nods* Duly noted, Mr. Ahmed.

Comments

  1. You had to question the value of your fanfics? But they're KILLER! I don't know any creative that doesn't read/watch/play/absorb a storyline without hatching a hundred imagined storylines from the existing material but it takes a writer to transform those thoughts into a good fan fic. Gaya's Astronomy makes me so mad because I can't watch them on TV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, Jules. What would I do without you?

      Delete
  2. Granted I'm a chronic procrastinator and I haven't seen much of Gaya's Astronomy and the only Trek I've watched are TNG movies but still, I find myself more interested in GA than most canon Trek.

    Also, I'm trying to write an urban fantasy novel with a fox spirit hero and while the idea was conceived when I felt like writing something for a friend, I'm pretty sure that your Xiaowei fic influenced me in it's own small way amongst my many references.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lord knows I have read some great fanfic offerings that have put the source material to shame. I wouldn't be surprised if original authors read them and went, "Damn, why didn't I think of that?!".

    I can't wait to see what else you create, Lady Ankh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Um, alladis. Allofit!

    The best thing about what we do is that we're not constrained in our abilities or efforts. Script and screenwriters are often hogtied by producers and executives and the folks in charge of the $$$...and we all know that oftentimes, they have their vision of what a story should be...which is usually never like the original story. I love writing fanfiction and I'll never stop, even though I much prefer to write my own stories. There's just something about seeing the gaps in story/movie plots and going, "How they not gonna address that?"

    Next thing you know...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

This blog is strictly moderated. Everyone is now able to comment again, however, all Anonymous posts will be immediately deleted.